6 cr., offered on request
Business Communication course provides students with the tools that are needed to collect, organize, and present information in a business environment. Students will learn how to use library and Internet resources to collect information. Word processing, spreadsheet, and graphics applications will be used to organize and present business information. Students will be introduced to business report writing, developing and delivering a persuasive presentation, and electronic-mail methods for team-based communication.
To develop the skills required to effectively speak, write, listen, and interact in a business environment by understanding communication concepts.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand and apply the principles of effective verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Produce professional quality business documents (i.e. letters, memos, and reports).
- Participate effectively in a group to solve problems, make decisions, and complete assignments.
- Deliver an effective persuasive oral presentation using appropriate visual aids and technology.
- Understand and apply software tools to produce documents effectively and efficiently.
- Understand and use on-line resources for communication and research.
- Manage their time and strictly follow instructions.
- Develop teamwork skills, interpersonal and intercultural communications.
- Establish leadership and organizational skills to make managerial decisions and act in non-standard situations.
- Instructor: Natalia Ilyashenko